We first came across artist Javid’s work during the first installation of the SUPAFRIK pop-up at Hotshot which was located next door to home-gallery workspace in Kensington Market. Inspired by Sufi Islam and drawing from Arabic calligraphy and Javid’s grafitti and mural-painting background, ‘Alaama is a layered exploration of feminine divinity. We were privileged to see a few samples of what he is working last weekend and to hear about his ideas for a truly immersive opening night experience. ‘ALAAMA (SHE KNOWS) opens this Thursday at 185 Augusta Ave, Kensington Market, Toronto. More details after the jump.
- RT @Chinedesign: Come through with your main ones. This year we’re setting up shop at a secret venue (a loft / rooftop downtown Toronto).…On: 2 days ago
- RT @KCintoronto: Very excited about seeing this exhibition of work by Ethiopian Artist Michael Tsegaye. Images of how development is shapin…On: 3 days ago
- RT @rihanna: #GuavaIsland @PrimeVideo hit the link ri-hanna.io/guavaisland https://t.co/M4JNN1IkaWOn: 4 days ago
- RT @nu_mindframe: Beyoncé’s work ethic. That’s it. That’s the tweetOn: 4 days ago
- The Afrobeats Pop-Up & Party! is back on May 4th! Bringing in Spring with Eats, Fashion and Beats On a downtown lof… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…On: 4 days ago